For the time ever in the game’s history, MLB The Show 22 is adding online co-op mode. Read on for a full breakdown of the new online co-op mode, captains, in-game position rotations, and co-op in Diamond Dynasty mode!
Online Co-Op General Details
- Squads of 2v2 and 3v3 games
- Choose your favorite MLB or MiLB teams in Play Now mode online or with your card collection in Diamond Dynasty.
- Cross play and cross platform compatible
- Can combine your select Diamond Dynasty cards with your teammates’ collections to field the ultimate team.
- Players start in the Co-Op Lobby in order to set up these matches
- Gamers have the option of teaming up with random players online or inviting friends
- Specific matchmaking will not be available, opponents will be randomized with other online players.
- Captains are designated by default to the first player in that lobby, but can also be assigned to another player before the game begins.
- Captains choose pre-match settings such as stadium, time of day, and setting the lineup before a game starts.
- Captains are tasked with making Manager decisions such as bringing in a pinch hitter or warming up a pitcher in the bullpen.
- Players will alternate between different positions and these roles alternate for each inning.
- Defense in 3v3 co-op: gamers will either play as the Pitcher and Catcher, play the Infield, or play the Outfield.
- Defense in 2v2 co-op: gamers will either be the Pitcher and Catcher or play the full field on Defense.
- Batting: it will rotate between players for each at-bat, not specific to the part of the field you played,
- Base-running: If you get on base you’ll be player locked as the runner while your teammates handle the at-bats.
- Co-op will have voice chat, text chat, and quick emojis to react.
- There’s a Pitch Suggest feature where non-pitching teammates can suggest a specific pitch and location to the current pitcher on the mound.
Co-Op in Diamond Dynasty
- Along with online Play Now with regular teams, users can play 2v2 or 3v3 co-op in Diamond Dynasty.
- When the match is created, both teammates are able to select specific players from their own Diamond Dynasty collection to create a combined lineup for the game.
- In 2v2, each user will select 6 Diamond Dynasty players: 3 position players, 1 starting pitcher, and 2 relievers.
- In 3v3, each user will select 4 players each: 2 position players, 1 starting pitcher, and 1 reliever.
- The rest of the Diamond Dynasty lineup will be filled out with random Live Series cards from each player’s own Diamond Dynasty collection.
- Before the match starts, the Captain chooses between two hidden and randomized options at starting pitcher.
- Everyone in the lineup must be a unique player, so users can’t choose the same players as their teammate.
- Parallel boosts will come from the player who chose that card at match creation.
- No competitive rewards will be available in Diamond Dynasty co-op at launch, but it’s a feature they’re MLB The Show 22 is planning to add.
MLB The Show 22 will be available on Xbox Series X, Xbox One, PlayStation 5, PlayStation 4, and Nintendo Switch.